Skip to main content

Dreams of Devenish

About two months ago I had the privilege of visiting an ancient Irish monastic site in Lough (Lock) Erne called Devenish Island. It's a place I had long known about but I just never had the right opportunity to visit it. When I was speaking on a youth weekend in Enniskillen I took some time out to finally make a visit. It was well worth it. The Irish, even though living on an island, have long had a love for situating themselves on smaller islands within and around the country. Devenish is no exception. It was established as a monastic community not far from the current town of Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh in the 6th century by St. Molaise and is now a tourist attraction with the occasional pilgrim paying a visit. This ancient site truly would have been of prime importance in its heyday being located on what would have been the highway of the day - along the route of the Shannon river running through nearly 3/4 of Ireland. I'll post a few highlights of images I shot with my mobile/cell phone camera. You'll get a feel for the place through them. One of the most significant aspects of my trip was coming across a phrase which stood out to me immediately. As I was reading the information boards in the visitors' centre I saw the phrase 'Ceile De' mentioned in a write up about an very ancient order of monks which had a presence on Devenish at one time. The name can be translated, 'spouses of God', 'companions of God', 'partners of God' or the 'gathering of God'. There is some debate about just who these 'Ceile De' were - or the Anglicized 'Culdee' - but one thing remains . . they were passionate about God. In September my friend and rector, Stephen Neill, and I are preparing to launch an alternate community of disenfranchised spectators of the Christian way in Cloughjordan. We are tentatively considering calling it 'Ceile De' as an apt descriptor of our hopes for those who become a part of this journey. Interestingly enough, the earliest mention of the 'Ceile De' is of a monk called St. Aengus who, as it turns out, was from not far from here near a town called Mountrath in Co. Offaly. I stopped at the site of the monastery where he trained and had returned to before dying. It was an interesting stop because I have passed the location of the ancient monastery now called Clonenagh more times than I remember. It's a strange thing to feel as if your life's journey is being carried along on a breath of wind and a ray of sunlight. What do the days ahead hold in store . . .

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Away we go!

Well, we're away for some very needed time with family and friends in America. Not sure how much I'll be posting in the days ahead. I plan on being more intentional in spending quality time with my family . God's riches blessings on you all! Labels: America , holidays , vacation

Travels across the Emerald Isle

Hello to anyone who may be reading this! I thought it might be 'schwing' to put Ireland up on the blog show you where my travels take me. Here's the key: Green house - where we currently live in N. Ireland / Red house - where we hope to move to in Co. Tipperary in January '06 / Yellow asterix - places I'll be making stops for work or play / Red line - my route on the way (note: houses not shown to scale). This weekend (in fact, in 30 minutes!) I'm heading to the town of Portlaoise in Co. Laois ( 1st asterix ) for a get-together with the area Youth Council tonight. Tomorrow morning CIYD is hosting a training session for all those who wish to attend Anois as a youth leader. Later tomorrow night I'll be delivering a training session in Fermoy, Co. Cork ( 2nd asterix) for a group of leaders who are planning on running the Quest course to reach teens in the diocese. I'll leave the Cork area on Sunday morning and make my way home to my

A Friend to Artists

For the last two years I have had the privilege of getting to know a man called Michael Guido. 'Guido' as he's better known, has been a friend to those in the Arts & Entertainment industry for over 20+ years. He's a pastor of sorts and a spiritual companion. Guido is a pioneer in the 'road pastor' tradition - supporting groups like Jars of Clay , dc Talk , POD , Michael W. Smith , Switchfoot and others. He, his wife Celeste and indeed his entire family have given so much for the calling on their lives to support, challenge and encourage artists and their families in their relationship with Christ. Please pray for the Guidos if you're the praying type. Pray for protection, financial support, joy and an overriding sense of God's clear calling on their ministry - PR Ministries . The PR stands for 'Persuing Relationships'. Every time we speak, Guido challenges me with his intense love for God and his knowledge of the Scriptures. H